Thursday 5 March 2009

Preliminary magazine work Evaluation

These following posts are the pieces of work from my original magazine. I will upload all the pieces that i created.

Magazine evaluation

Our task was to create a front cover and a contents page for a school magazine, my initial idea was to have the front cover full of information and colour to make it stand out and to have a teacher holding a certificate of some sorts to show a certain achievement that the school has achieved and the contents page to be along the lines of a leading magazine style like NME or Heat to give it an authentic look.
My front cover shows a student holding something that was created on Photoshop in a frame to exaggerate the main story of how to use Photoshop. It’s got a neutral colour scheme of a white background and a darker gradient towards the lower half, the title is bold and underlines with a smooth text style and has a list of what is inside the magazine on the sides. My sketches were quite useful to give me ideas but ultimately I changed them to a more modern and subtle look, I altered the theme of a teacher and a certificate to a student because I wanted something the audience could relate to as it is a student magazine.

To get the photo I shot it on a white background right next to a light source to give it a strong brightness but this took a while to get the mid close-up shot and also all the perfect angles, I tried to change how big the props were and how close I was to the student holding the props but this didn’t really change the outcome of the photo. To change the photo in the frame to something relatable to the magazine I had to use Photoshop and because I had used it before I found it to be quite easy Eventhough I did get a bit impatient with the magnetic lasso and the brightness tool but I managed to resize it to A4 and also got the wanted photo into the frame quite realistically.

The contents page was very similar but I kept to the main idea that was in the sketch, the editor’s letter I kept relatively the same aswell as where the photographs are placed. I used word to produce the contents page because it is mostly textual based with a few photos.
The contents page is also in the style of NME with a border around with an editorial letter column on the right hand side of the page and a contents to the left, there’s also a banner containing any other important information.

No comments:

Post a Comment